Student Placement/Teacher Request Policy
As we begin to plan for the 2017-2018 school year, we would like to make you aware of our student placement policy. Parents have the opportunity to provide information regarding their child and any special circumstance that might need to be considered. We ask that you carefully read this information and make a note of the deadline for submitting your letter, if you choose to do so. Only letters that have followed the guidelines below will be considered. Placement letters are neither encouraged nor discouraged but provide parents a means of expressing special circumstances that might need to be considered.
Student placement at the EEC is taken very seriously, a great deal of time and careful thought is put into considering the best interest of every child in each classroom. Teachers and administrators collaborate and use their best judgment to place students in classes where they will excel. We take into consideration each child’s strengths, growth areas, development needs, ideal classroom environment and any social concerns with placements. Because we are aware of dynamics that at times may be confidential such as teacher’s positions changing, needs of other students enrolled at the EEC etc, we cannot commit to honoring requests for specific teachers. The EEC is devoted to providing a nurturing environment and quality education in every classroom to every student.
Please note that the final decision on all student placements rests with the administration. In order for letters to be considered, please submit to Erin Schwant via email firstname.lastname@example.org by May 1, 2017. All letters will be held in strict confidence. Students will be notified in the summer about class placement.
IDEAL LETTERS INCLUDE:
- Requests about the type of classroom in which you believe your child will be most successful, rather than requests for a specific teacher
- Hopes for the relationship between your child and their teacher
- Any significant interests your child has such as music, art, etc. as well as what they enjoy most about school or what you anticipate them enjoying
- Growth areas or specific goals you have for your child next year (feel free to be specific with regard to social skills, academic achievements, behavioral changes, motor development etc)
- Any developmental concerns you have noticed or are seeking treatment to improve such as speech therapy, occupational therapy etc..
- Any special considerations we should be aware of (allergies, health problems, changes in family situations, attitude, recent move or divorce)
- Any emotional issues which may be relevant to class placement
ADDITIONAL SITUATIONS WORTH NOTING :
- Parents of multiples (twins, triplets, etc.) may submit requests to have their children separated or placed in the same class. (2k only)
- If you have a dual role with a teacher such as; you are neighbors, family members or have some other extracurricular connection that would lead you to believe it is best for your child not to be with a specific teacher please feel free to mention that in your letter.
PLEASE AVOID WRITING LETTERS WHICH INCLUDE:
- Requesting or “unrequesting” a teacher by name
- Requesting that two students be placed in the same class unless there is a documented, valid need for special consideration
- Requesting an “experienced” teacher or “first year teacher”